Sinusitis is an inflammation of the paranasal sinuses. The inflammation could be caused by a virus, bacteria, or fungus. The infection may also be the result of an allergic or autoimmune reaction when the immune system attacks healthy cells.
Classification of Sinusitis
There are several paired paranasal sinuses, including the frontal, ethmoid, maxillary and sphenoid sinuses. The ethmoid sinuses can also be further broken down into anterior and posterior, the division of which is defined as the basal lamella of the middle turbinate. Sinusitis can be classified by the sinus cavity which it affects:
- Maxillary sinusitis: can cause pain or pressure in the maxillary (cheek) area (e.g., toothache, headache)
- Frontal sinusitis: can cause pain or pressure in the frontal sinus cavity (located behind/above eyes), headache
- Ethmoid sinusitis: can cause pain or pressure pain between/behind eyes, headache
- Sphenoid sinusitis: can cause pain or pressure behind the eyes, but often refers to the vertex of the head
Types of sinusitis
- Acute sinusitis: Usually starts with cold like symptoms such as a runny, stuffy nose and facial pain. It may start suddenly and last 2-4 weeks.
- Sub-acute sinus: Inflammation usually lasts 4 to 12 weeks.
- Chronic inflammation: Symptoms last 12 weeks or longer.
- Recurrent sinusitis: Happens several times a year.
Sinusitis is the effect of virus, fungi, bacteria, or allergic reaction. It may be caused due to some possible reasons including:
- A common cold or flu
- Allergic rhinitis
- Nasal polyps
- DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum)
- Infections in the respiratory tract.
Sign and Symptoms
- Postnasal drip
- Tenderness of the face
- Sore throat
- Facial swelling
- Nasal congestion leading to difficulty in breathing through the nose.
- Discharge of thick, yellowish or greenish color from your nose.
- Headache over frontal portion, face, eyes.
- Fever mild to moderate with heavy sensation in frontal portion of head.
- Decreased sense of taste and smell in case of adults.
- Pain in the teeth and upper jaw.
- Pain in the ears.
- Bad breath.
Several factors can increase your risk of getting a sinus infection:
- A previous cold
- Seasonal allergies
- Smoking and exposure to second hand smoke
- Structural problems within the sinuses (such as growths on the lining of the nose or sinuses, known as nasal polyps)
- A weak immune system or taking drugs that weaken the immune system
A doctor may make a diagnosis by:
- Asking about symptoms
- Carrying out a physical examination
- Using an endoscope to see inside the nasal passages
- Ordering an MRI or CT scan to check for structural problems, in some cases
- Carrying out an allergy test to identify possible triggers
The doctor may visually examine the nasal cavity with a light source or a small, handheld device with a light attached called an otoscope. They can also use this device to examine the ears.
If symptoms persist, a person may need to see an ear, nose, and throat specialist for a more in-depth examination.
Homeopathic medicines can be of great help in the treatment of Sinusitis. The natural Homeopathic mode of treatment aims at rebuilding the body’s immunity to Sinusitis. The Homeopathic treatment for sinusitis can completely cure the chronicity and recurrence of Sinusitis. Chronic Sinusitis stands the best chance of being cured by Homeopathy. The Homeopathic treatment of sinusitis is far superior as it does not resort to any strong medicines or antibiotics. The homeopathic medicine for sinusitis is mild and has the additional benefit that it does not cause any side effect at all.
Silicea is one of the best remedies for sinus infection. The sinus headache mainly on the right side is best treated with Silicea. The patient requiring Silicea feels chilly and is very sensitive to cold air. Covering up warmly provides relief. One prominent indication for using Silicea in sinus cases is nasal stuffiness. The nasal discharges get clogged in hard crusts. On attempting to loosen these crusts, there is bleeding. Silicea is the top remedy for treating symptoms of serious sinus infection, where all sinuses are infected simultaneously.
Natural medicine Belladonna is one of the ideal homeopathic remedies for sinus infections when sinus headache is due to suppressed discharge. Belladonna is very beneficial when a Sinusitis patient complains of a violent headache. The patient may get relief from the headache by binding the head tightly or applying pressure. The face may also appear swollen with a heated sensation. Another symptom of using Belladonna is throat pain and cough when the sinus infection travels down the throat.
Kali Bichrome is the top natural medicine for Sinusitis where the discharge drops back into the throat despite coming out of the nose. The discharge is very thick and mostly yellow. It can be ropy too and the patient experiences pain and heaviness in the nose. The nose can smell and is blocked with an inability to breathe through it. Kali Bichrome is also the best remedy for headache above the eyes due to a sinus infection. The eyes may also get swollen up.
Merc Sol is of great help in treating Sinusitis when the nasal discharge is yellowish-green with a burning feeling. The nasal membrane gets corroded and ulcerated due to the offensive and thick acrid discharge. The patient has a headache with heat in the head along with nasal discharge. Increased saliva in the mouth is a prominent feature to look for in patients requiring Homeopathic medicine Merc Sol. It is also very beneficial if the mouth lets out an offensive smell.
Pulsatilla is another top natural medicine for Sinusitis. The main symptom for its selection is a green-colored nasal discharge that is bland (without burning) and if the patient gets general relief in the open air. The discharge is horribly offensive and the patient has a headache above the eyes. There’s an absolute absence of thirst in patients.
Spigelia is the ideal natural medicine for headache when the left-side frontal sinus is infected. Spigelia is of great help when the patient has a severe throbbing pain over the left eye. This is most of the times accompanied by discharge dropping back into the throat from the nose.
The symptoms to watch out for when selecting Bryonia Alba for left-side sinus headache are a bursting type of pain in forehead over left eye, worsening of headache by motion and relief by taking rest.
Sticta is a natural medicine of great help to treat nasal blockage in a person with inflamed sinus. Sticta is the ideal remedy for patients who have no nasal discharge despite making quite an effort. There’s a constant pressure on the nose.
Ammonium Carb is the top remedy when the complete blockage of nose makes breathing difficult and the patient has to breathe through the mouth. The worse time for the patient is night.
Kali Iod is the best natural medicine for treating thin nasal discharge due to sinus inflammation. The discharge is watery in a large quantity and leads to an intense burning sensation.
Natrum Mur is the top rank among natural remedies for sinus Infections when sneezing accompanies sinus inflammation. Along with sneezing, a fluent discharge of nose with headache is indicative of the both the homeopathic remedies for sinus infections.